Sunday 22 July 2012

40 Yard Fairway Shot

Most golfers have a great deal of trouble with this golf shot. Most attempt to hit a sand or lob wedge and end by hitting the golf shot thin over the green or fat with the golf ball not moving more than 20 yards.
This golf shot was to a front flag and my goal was to hit the golf shot 10 feet or less. My first shot you will see on the front of the green was hit with a lob wedge. I hit it well but it came up short. These shots are scoring shots and reflect more on the score card than the great drives everyone likes to hit. This shot also sets up for the 1 putt which builds confidence in putting saving golf shots that add up at the end of the day. So far everything all I've written is positive about the golf shot so given the opportunity I want to practice these shots a great deal. I can hit a poor drive and have a chance on the hole I'm playing due to these types of shots. Here's how.


Club of choice is my 56 degree sand wedge.
My grip is very light.
I play the golf shot from the middle of my stance.
I set up very square to the target.
I bend slightly more from my waist feeling as though my chest is covering the golf ball a bit.
During the golf shot I keep this bend as you will see.
Notice at impact I hit the golf ball first clipping the shot. Small divot which is a good sign as the golf ball rolls up the face producing a slight grabbing motion the golf ball will have when hitting the green. Not a great deal of spin but enough for good distance control. Better than the lob wedge ( see results ).
My back swing is very short a little more than half. I feel as though this is a long low pitch shot.
After impact I cut my follow through keeping the face of the club square to the target line turning through a little and hold the finish ( much better result ).
For help with this shot or any others please contact Mark at graingergolf@rocketmail.com
Enjoy your next game with better scoring shots.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment