Sunday 12 August 2012

The Cut Pitch

This is a very useful shot if your short sided with very little green to work with out of green side rough.
 I shot video in real time and you will notice the golf ball spin slightly to the right when it hits the green.

Club of choice is your most lofted. Mine being a 60 degree wedge.

I grip down for more control and feel during the pitch shot.

I play the golf ball towards the front of my stance and I'm open to the target.

My wedge is open at address aiming down the target line.

I pick a spot where I want the golf ball to land on the green taking a few practice swings to measure back swing length required to hit the pitch shot. If grip pressure stays the same, length of back swing determines how far the shot will travel.

I take the golf club away slightly outside and swing inside cutting across the golf ball at impact.

I have the feeling the club face is sliding under the golf ball.

The shot is vertical quickly and lands soft when it hits the green.

Occasionally you can make a few of these which like all short game shots help your score at the end of the day. Very few golfers practice the short game but if you look at the players that win golf tournaments on tour, they all have an above average short game. The percentage of practice for the average player should be 70% short game and 30% long game. If you have any questions about this great game or you require help with this shot or any others please contact Mark at graingergolf@rocketmail.com
Have a great week.


No comments:

Post a Comment